Hair Straightening is something that many ladies with very curly, frizzy or unruly hair welcome and here at H&Co in Torquay and Finlake Resort at Chudleigh we use a Keratin process to temporarily Straighten hair for clients. We don’t provide or recommend Permanent Hair Straightening as it can be damaging to the hair causing breakage. Our Keratin Smoothing Treatment offers up to 3 months relaxing of hair following the hair straightening service.
What is Keratin?
Keratin is a fibrous protein found naturally in the hair that acts as a protective shield against humidity, the primary cause of frizz. Over time, the hair loses keratin from exposure to the sun, environment, styling, and chemical services—causing porous spots to develop (much like potholes in a road).
Keratin itself works with the porosity of the hair. Most frizz and tangled hair is due to overly porous hair, so humidity is combated and hair is left with a healthier appearance.
Performed at H&Co Hair Salon in Torquay and Finlake Resort near Chudleigh Devon, this powerful treatment replenishes the hair with high concentrations of keratin that penetrate throughout the hair structure and are sealed within the cortex to repair the damage. This locks out humidity, repairs damage and breakage, and rebuilds strength to make smoother, shinier and healthier-looking hair, improving manageability and significantly reducing styling time”
Unlike straightening treatments, which can break protein bonds to reform hair structure into a permanently straight shape, Keratin Complex treatments won’t break the bonds of your hair—instead, reducing frizz and restoring health to provide the straightening, smoothing effect without permanently changing the structure. This allows versatility to style wavy or straight as desired.
How It Works
1. The pre-treatment removes surface buildup and prepares the cuticle, lifting its overlapping layers to allow the treatment to penetrate the hair. A clarifying shampoo is emulsified on damp hair twice before all Keratin Complex treatments. The alkaline pH properly activates the cuticle to best prepare the hair for a smoothing treatment.
2. During application, the keratin treatment penetrates into the hair’s cuticle. Hydrolyzed keratin strengthens keratin bonds from within, helps repair damage, and smooths the hair shaft.
3. Keratin Complex treatments are applied with a brush and bowl application, similar to applying colour. It is important not to oversaturate the hair, so a fine-tooth comb is also used to distribute the treatment. The keratin is driven into the activated cuticle, targeting the damaged areas. The application takes between 10 to 15 minutes and does not create any sensation on the scalp.
4. The hair shape is further adjusted with the assistance of heat—first with a blow-dryer and finally with a flatiron, sealing in the treatment to create a humidity-resistant finish and smooth silky strands.
Care during the 72 hours after your treatment is key for optimal and the longest-lasting results. The means three days of strict adherence to these guidelines:
Do not get your hair wet!
- When you shower, use the absolute best shower cap.
- If you work out and/or sweat, get to a dryer asap. Blow-dry and flat iron with medium to low heat as soon as possible.
- No swimming, not even with a swim cap.
- No saunas, baths, hot tubs, steam showers, skiing, skating.
- Carry an umbrella and a loose rain hat, or even a plastic shower cap, everywhere if rain or fog is in the forecast.
- When you wash your face or brush your teeth, use a shower cap or spa band to hold back your hair.
- Avoid making any impressions on the hair from clips, ponytail holders, hats, or sunglasses.
- Resist the urge to tuck your hair behind your ears.
- No up-dos with bands or clips.
- No braids.
- At night, sleep with hair loose.
More than 3 days after
- The Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment can last up to five months, depending on lifestyle, maintenance and adherence to all aftercare instructions.
- Using shampoos that contain sulfate will ruin your Keratin treatment. We recommend and carry Keratin Complex brand Keratin Care Shampoo and Conditioner and Keratin Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
- We recommend that the hair be cut after the treatment, as the hair will have a smoother texture and will lie differently.
- We recommend waiting at least two weeks before colouring your hair.
- The hair will be more manageable and easy to style, and will be resistant to humidity. It will feel noticeably softer and silkier, with added life, shine and vibrancy.
What’s the Cost?
Our Keratin Smoothing Treatments are £240. In addition to the service itself which takes around 3 – 4 hours you will need to purchase a Keratin Complex Shampoo (£14.95) and Keratin Conditioner (£15.95) in order to get the most out of your treatment and have it last as long as possible.
Pay by Installments
At H&Co we off the ability for you to pay by instalments over 3 months if you wish, contact us for details.